Monday, July 03, 2006

Magpie Waltz

So, I finally decided to start a blog. Everyone else is doing it, so I figure it can't hurt if I do so too.

It will probably take me a while to get comfortable with this, but I'll try to update with fair regularity.

So... in case anyone is interested (or in case anyone is even LOOKING), I guess I should introduce myself.

I have a rather checkered employment history--college instructor; guitarist, backing vocalist, and arranger for several bands; music store clerk; corporate manuals editor; knitwear designer; surface designer (fabric and gift wrap); babysitter to a stand-up comedian; freelance editor; freelance writer--but right now I am an editorial manager at a major educational publisher. It's an actual career. I'm kind of stunned at that.

I've lived in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, in the rust belt of upstate New York, in Boston, in San Francisco, in Los Angeles. Now I live with my husband Jeff and our fat, fluffy white diva of a cat named Shelly in an ancient fixer-upper of a condo a block from Lake Michigan in the City of Big Shoulders. While I miss topography--my husband (a native Chicagoan) was insulted when, upon my first Chicago snowfall, I asked if anyone could sled here--I love to have a nice, flat terrain on which to run. Well, on which to jog. I'm not all that fast. I also love our close proximity to Wisconsin and all it's funky antique malls and tourist attractions. House on the Rock is my Mecca. So is the Mocassin Bar in Hayward. Wisconsin simply rules in terms of weirdness. Jeff and I hope to live there one day.

That's about it for now. I'll write more as the spirit moves me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Heh, heh--well, in his pre-Heffer incarnation, of course.

And now there is no way to avoid his animated alterego, no matter where one goes. The other day we were driving home from work and stopped behind a van with a video screen playing--well, I'm sure you can figure out the general nature of the cartoon. Ack.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home