Sunday, August 20, 2006

A 33rd Reunion?

A few days ago, while perusing my pal Lee's blog, I discovered that my high school class--the mighty Class of '73--was having a reunion. A 33rd reunion. Then, on Friday, the official invitation came. There was no doubt about it. Our class reunion was going to be a reality.

Now, most reunions happen on five or ten year milestones. But, hey... I'm cool with breaking the mold. I just wish the organizers would have given us more than just two months to prepare. Here I thought I had a couple more years in which to get in shape, finish my novel (poor abandoned waif that it currently is)... well, I guess those are the only two preparations I would want to make. Maybe a nip and a tuck here and there, but really--the majority of my life (if not my physique) is "reunion ready."

I'm just fine in the romance arena--Jeff and I just celebrated our 11th anniversary and we're going strong (see previous post for more details). In addition to being a great guy and big sweetheart, he presents very, very well. And he is not an unknown quantity to those who attend Class of '73 reunions, since he accompanied me to my 25th, which is the last official reunion my class held, to my knowledge. Whether he will attend this one is up in the air--it depends on the number of vacation days available--but I hope he will. So, romance: check.

It is with amazement that I say that I have an actual career--not one that blows people away like, say, if I had achieved the new-wave superstardom that for one o, so fleeting moment was just inches from my grasp, but one that sounds impressive to those uninitiated into the world of educational publishing. It would be nice to be able to tout that novel too, but I see that as icing on the cake. For the 38th or 43rd reunion, maybe. So, career: check.

While I don't have kids of my own to brag about, I have two stepkids, both of whom are reunion bragfest fodder. One recently graduated from university and is now in west Texas helping to get a new NPR station off the ground. The other is a college sophomore who makes great grades and manages an impressive social life as well. I would go into more detail, but I fear that my praise might mortify them. Heh, heh. At any rate, they know who they are, and they know how proud I am of them and how much I love them! So, (step) parental bragging rights: check.

In terms of self-assurance, well, I was a mess of a nerd who took on more than my share of bullying back in grade school, but by high school my nerdy pals and I had already learned a valuable lesson: be who you are, enjoy yourself, and let those who would judge you for that be damned. Once I gave up wishing I was *popular,* I was free to be myself. I found a bunch of like-minded friends and had a blast. When we get together--at reunions or whenever--we always have a great time. So, self-assurance: check.

In terms of success, I'm holding my own. Jeff and I are not wealthy, but we've managed to keep our heads above water as we slowly improve our ancient fixer-upper of a condo and help to put the kids through college. We recently took a look at our finances and realized that even with our mortgage and equity line, we are solvent. So, not rich, but solvent. And surrounded by books, music, films, lots of stringed instruments... life is good. I call that successful. So, success: check.

Which leaves us with appearance. Oy. Too fat. Embarrassingly so. Especially since I've been relatively svelte at all the other reunions I attended. I would LOVE to be able to waltz into this reunion wearing the teeny vintage sundress my 100-lb. self wore to the 10th reunion, or even the slightly larger clown costume (well, in retrospect--I mean, what was I thinking?) my slightly larger self wore to the 20th. Or the sheath (a bit larger still) that I wore to the 25th. All of them are still hanging in my closet. Not one of them fits me now. No way, no how. But maybe for the next reunion on. Right. So, physique: no check.

But hey--we are who we are, right? And one hopes that's an older, wiser, better version of who we were then, right? So, fat or not, I plan to be there. I plan to dance. I plan to drink (but maybe not to excess--maybe). I plan to have fun with old friends. Bring on the 33rd!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes! I'm finally able to post a comment. I guess using my iBook was the charm!!!

New Wave Superstardom is never elusive!
I sent a CD to Japan only a few months ago. Poptart fans live!

It's Ball Turret Gunner fandom that is more problematic!

12:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Yea! Finally you can post!

Yes... for some reason I don't think a Ball Turret Gunner retrospective will be forthcoming. Although a rousing chorus of Cock of the Wok might not go amiss!

9:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Hilarious!!

Beverage out of nose alert!

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it isn't the infamous "donut" tapes.

Cough.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shaggs have nothing to fear...

12:20 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Heh!!

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home