Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Election Day in Chicago...

What can I say? I'm one of those good citizen types who takes my right and duty to vote seriously. So despite the fact that my vote will most likely count for naught, I trudged over to the local elementary school that is my polling place this evening after I returned home from work.

I cast a ballot against Hizzonner, Richie Daley, fils. I know that he will remain mayor until he quits, dies, or goes berzerk and eats a human baby live on WGN, but I just couldn't bring myself to connect the lines (our new voting method) for him. When I told Jeff I wasn't going to vote for him because of all the corruption that has come to light with regard to his administration of late, he just scoffed good naturedly. "C'mon, Cathy! You've lived here HOW long?" Yeah. I know. We in Chicago are proud of our corrupt politicians. It's endearing. To a point. Maybe if Richie's voice were not like Baby Huey's on helium...

I also cast a ballot against our incumbent alderman. For a long time, I thought that he was a good guy. Things have improved in my neighborhood, without a doubt, but they still have a long way to go. And this summer when I attended a community meeting about whether a certain problem property should open its doors once again as a watering hole, I saw the alderman in action. It was clear that he was on the side of the building's sleazy owner--a notorious slumlord whose infamy is legend throughout Rogers Park. And the guy was responsible for the utterly foolish local law against foie gras. I'm not a huge fan of liver--no matter what creature it comes from. And I certainly am against the cruel treatment of geese and/or ducks. But a city ordinance against a foodstuff? Feh. There are SO many more things that need doing. Such as working to boot out sleazy slumlords. Or gang abatement. Or attracting better shops and restaurants.

At any rate, I voted for one of his opponents--the plumber. All of his opponents seemed to be decent options. I just liked the idea of a plumber doing the job.

But, as I said, I'm certain that neither Daley nor our incumbent alderman will be unseated.

Since I voted, though, I have whining rights when they do things of which I do not approve. I only wish I could say that was gratifying enough when applied to G.W. Bush. Sigh.

UPDATE: While Daley sailed through to another term, our alderman faces a run-off election! So maybe my vote DID count for something, although the guy I voted for did not make the cut for the run-off.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home