Monday, November 05, 2007

Writing Update

Fresh from a brief sojourn in Wisconsin, I'll have much more to regale you with in a few days once I have uploaded my snaps of House on the Rock, but I promised regular writing updates... Here we go:



That puts me, right now, at a couple of thousand words behind schedule. Sigh. I hope to catch that up in the next week or so. I didn't write anything in Madison this weekend, but I sure did read!

You may notice that, FINALLY, I have finished the ponderous (but nicely written and informative) Beatles bio. Then, within a day, I also finished a slim hardcover volume I purchased for a quarter at the latest rummage sale, Still Life with Chickens: Starting Over in a House by the Sea by Catherine Goldhammer. It was a quick read and I enjoyed it, although I got tired of the whole chickens as bridge to new life metaphor quite quickly. While we were in Madison, Jeff found a used copy of Edwin Mullhouse, and, since I had nothing more with me to read, I began that. Amusing and interesting so far.

Well, GW has asked for updates on the novel, so I thought I would offer the first paragraph and the last paragraph of the latest batch:

First:

Bierce wandered in, resplendent in iridescent polyester scales, peering out of the gaping mouth of a huge fake and shimmering fish head.

Last:

On the other side of the plate glass, Grant sat at his keyboard, furiously worrying the eraser off of his latest pencil and tapping out his latest brainstorm of a headline: “City Art Lovers XXXasperated by Do-It-Yourself Show.” He chuckled and hit save.

Remember folks--this is first draft stuff!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

"{R}esplendent in iridescent polyester scales..."

Oh, sweet Crom, that is ONE! GREAT! HOOK! And, no, that was not an intentional pun; it simply happened.

I'd read the next few pages even if I DIDN'T know you!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Heh! Well, it helps that one of the characters has a cheezy "Creature Feature" type show on a local TV channel...

I have to say, this go-round it has been like pulling teeth! Argh!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

That first paragraph has me interested!

12:03 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

It IS nice to sit at the keyboard and start out with something like that. And, as you can tell by the title of this blog, I have magpie tendencies: shiny? I'm there! O, joy! to be able to use the word iridescent!

It has really been hard these last few days, though. I thought I'd just sit down and bash out a thousand words or so a night and make up the difference lost in that first week in no time, but alas! I sit there and read back over and tweak and fiddle and... last night was a record of slack: less than 300 words. In an hour and a half. Ack.

Well, there's always the weekend!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can catch up; I know you can! Just add a couple hundred words to each day and you'll be back on track in no time. Yeah, I say that and here you are, pounding away to get 300 words in an hour and a half. Don't tweak so much....just pound ahead. Here's what I do...I put a "??" next to scenes or paragraphs that I think are weak or in big time need of revision, then I keep on going. Later (later!) I go back, do a "find" for the "??"s, and fix them. But if you can help it, try to resist the urge to do *too* much revising as you do the first draft. Easier said than done, I know, but with your deadline, it might help.

Just mie tew scents. And that ain't necessarily worth much! :)

Beth

6:10 AM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Of course, my problem has always been this.

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lee....I'm there, too, more often than I'd like!!!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh yeah!! That looks familiar!

I think I need to pull out my copy of Bird by Bird and read the "Shitty First Draft" chapter again!

LOL!

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home