Friday, February 29, 2008

Birth of the Poptarts



Just like the protagonist in my fledgling novel, I went north to school (well, to grad school) with rather lofty and serious ambitions: I wanted to be a medievalist and teach in a university. My destination was central New York rather than Manhattan, though, and Syracuse University. Why Syracuse? They gave me the most money and a teaching assistantship.

It is odd, though, now that I think of it. When I was applying, I had a short list of schools. I had already been offered a free ride at my alma mater, which was then Madison College, but I wanted a change. I applied and was accepted at William and Mary, Vanderbilt, and Duke, but of those, only William and Mary offered any financial assistance, and that was in the form of a research assistantship. I didn't relish the idea of doing some professor's research for him or her. Then there was Syracuse. I had put my hand on the catalog while browsing grad school catalogs in the library one day and thought, "Say... maybe I should go north." So I applied. And along came the teaching assistantship. So north I went.

I decided about two weeks into that first semester that a) I hated teaching (could that have had something to do with teaching English 101?) and b) I was thoroughly sick of going to school. I'd been in some sort of school since I stepped inside Mrs. Wright's Playtime Nursery School at the age of four. I was tired of the whole thing. But here I was... might as well slog through. Maybe it would grow on me again.

Before too long, I was part of a little clique of fellow first year English department TAs who were also struggling with the whole nightmare of teaching bored kids "General Essays" (you don't want to know): Gael, who was in the poetry workshop; Marie, who was in the fiction workshop; and Susan, who was a Shakespeare fanatic. We did a lot of kvetching about the department and our fellow grad students. We tried to find something amusing to keep us occupied in Syracuse during its snowiest winter on record. We didn't have much luck. Although one weekend we stumbled upon the Casa di Lisa, a jazz dive in an old diner on Erie Boulevard, where one of our professors was playing piano with a trio. I think he played piano. Anyway, the trio played "Alice Blue Gown" for an hour. That was all they played, while we tried to force down drinks made with powdered mixers. At least the place had a nice seedy bordello-ish vibe. That's the bar, up top of this post. Here are Marie and Gael enjoying the show:



We needed a change. It came in the form of a fellow grad student, Mark Roberts. Or, as he was known on the local music scene, Buddy Love.



He was the front man for a local band called Buddy Love and the Tearjerkers, and we started going out to clubs to watch him play. The band was pretty sloppy, and Buddy was the sloppiest of all, but they were also very engaging. The first time we saw them, they opened for a band called the Flashcubes, the premier "New Wave" band in town. We thought they were way too slick, compared with the Tearjerkers. Har! But we were inspired. If Mark could be in a band, we could too. And Gael and I, at least, could play guitar a bit. And we could sing. And Gael was a poet. She could write lyrics. Pretty soon, we had a pretend band going. It was called The Ball Turret Gunners. What can I say? We were English majors. Who needed real gigs? We had t-shirts made.



We still mostly sat around and kvetched about the department and our students and all, but now we also played guitars and Gael and I would sing Beatles songs and our own originals--ditties such as "Cock of the Wok" (a paean to our favorite Chinese take-out emporium, the Ding-How) and "Lookin' for a Munchkin Mama" (a politically incorrect glance into the psyche of the department's "little person," who also happened to be a rather loathsome troll and would have been so had he been six feet tall). We took on punk pseudonyms: I was "Whippet Out," Gael was "Knickers Down" (to form the songwriting team of Down and Out), Susan was "Bertha d'Blues" (get it?), and I forget what Marie's moniker was.

But then Buddy stopped singing with the band and the Tearjerkers went on hiatus. We began to go see the Flashcubes more, as well as other local bands on the budding punk/new wave scene. One day, we heard that two other girls whom we saw regularly at all the gigs--Meegan and Margie--were going to put a band together--and their name was going to be The Poptarts. We heard they were going to be at the party after Buddy's poetry reading for his thesis, so Gael and I made a tape. We turned off the voice tracks on some of the early Beatles songs (you could do that on the older Beatles LPs--the "stereo" was voices through one speaker and instruments through the other) and recorded ourselves against the instrumental tracks. Gael sang lead, and I sang harmony. We took it to the party and slipped it in the tape deck and Meegan flipped out and cried "It's my dream!" Susan and Gael and I came back from the party no longer Ball Turret Gunners but Poptarts. Marie hadn't gone to the party, and anyway, she was not all that into the whole music scene anyway. She kind of drifted away...

But the Poptarts became a real band. Margie had been learning bass--she had an instrument. Meegan borrowed a Gretsch from her boyfriend Arty, who was the lead guitar player for the Flashcubes. (She later bought herself a powder blue Fender Mustang.) I persuaded my brother to lend me his 1959 short scale Gibson Melody Maker until I could afford my own guitar (which turned out to be my lovely 3/4 scale Rick). Gael was going to be the singer (but she later acquired a black lefty strat--her being a lefty and all, and she and Meegan would trade off lead vocals). Susan bought a set of drums and started to practice, but until she was up to speed, Arty sat in on drums and Susan was our go-go dancer. (Really!) We started practicing, wrote a few songs, learned a few covers, and within three weeks we were playing out, opening for a local band. by our third gig, we were sharing the night with the Dead Ducks (another new-ish band--they couldn't really play either, so we were a good match!). Here is photo evidence of the gig--and notice: Susan is dancing!



By our fifth gig, Susan was sitting behind the drums, and we were opening for a national act, the Laughing Dogs. (Never heard of them? I'm not surprised!) And suddenly we had a real manager and label interest.

To be continued...

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Fascinating. I can't wait to read the rest!

I want to know if you have any recordings! I'd love to hear y'all!

1:53 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

ewok, just follow the link to the right, to Gael McGear's Poptarts Pages. She put together a compilation of demos and such a few years ago. She can set you up!

2:25 PM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

This is GREAT! See, I knew bits and pieces of The Poptarts story (from you and from Gael's page), I have the CD (which I play on a regular basis and which always generates positive comments from unsuspecting listeners), but I didn't know how what I knew fit together.

I LOVE this stuff, especially since I have a serious Memoir Fetish, as even a cursory glance at my reading lists will reveal.

More, baby! More!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

I hope Gael will weigh in, as she really was the biographer of the band. She kept records of every gig and, as far as I know, she has the only copy of our press kit in existence.

To be honest, I'm not sure if our first opening gig for a national act was for the Laughing Dogs or the Yachts... I hate to think that all this began nearly 30 years ago!!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marie's name --

Rhythm Method!

How could you forget? That musical pair of Down and Out, with Rhythm and D'Blues! LOL!

Gael

12:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh god!! Yes!!

I wracked my brain to try to remember her name!

Any idea what became of her?

3:09 PM  
Blogger kdtishken said...

It was a real treat to run across your blog. I was a contemporary of yours at Syracuse albeit in a different grad program and we likely traveled in some of the same circles--saw the same bands at many of the same clubs. What led me to your blog was the fact that I had been thinking about Mark Roberts/ Buddy Love recently--I hung out with him for a while before he left town for LA???--and I googled under both his identities which led me to your site. I don't recall the Ball Turret Gunners or The Poptarts, but the Dead Ducks sounds familiar. I have a feeling that Mark/Buddy might have later performed under a different band name.

I recognize Gael from the pictures, but I couldn't tell you if I knew her at the time or you for that matter. Speaking of other odd Syracuse bars at the time, Mark used to drag us to a strange hole-in-the-wall bar downtown called The Matador--weird combo of mismatched decor and clientel--where we got to know all the bartenders. One of them he introduced me to I stayed in touch with for some time and she ended up marrying Artie many years later.

I know what you mean by being inspired by Mark--he was quite a character who tended to give those around him the feeling they could do anything. I find the picture you included of him a bit unusual, since my memory of him was that he always dressed up when he was out--in particular the grey overcoat with the green tri-heart pin on the lapel. I think he fashioned himself as the next Bryan Ferry. His band had two great songs in their set that I remember: a cover of Captain Beefheart's "Sun Zoom Spark" and a song I believe that he adapted from a famous poem/poet called "Manifest Destiny." The latter was always the highlight of their show. I still remember one bit of band philosophy he shared with me--that a new wave band needed a heavy metal drummer to drive the music--his band was a collection of mismatched parts that could be god awful one night, but glorious the next.

I know this is a whole different tangent moving in a rather random direction from your blog/story, but I just wanted to share the memory with someone that knows.

11:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Buddy's real name is Mark Roberts, eh? We've been mailing over and back for the past week, and he's a pretty nice guy!

Now, all I need is footage of the Tearjerkers when Tom Kenny took Buddy's spot, and my collection is complete :P

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I'm B. D. Love

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great reminiscences, all.

It is true that the Tearjerkers were really rough. I'd never been in a band before, aside from sitting in for two songs with the Flashcubes. Gary and his friend Charlie Hamster cooked up the idea of group, which I named the Tearjerkers and they added Buddy Love to the title.

Charlie insisted that we learn seven songs in seven days and open for the Cubes at Jabberwocky. I was dating the manager of the local Pier One, and she would let us sneak in after closing to rehearse...meaning we started at nine thirty. We hid the equipment behind the Persian rugs.

Gary devilishly recorded our debut performance, and it was really bad...except for the comedy routines that yours truly improvised. I own this tape. Bloody unbelievable.

The band that Keith above refers to is My Sin. Y'all can download stuff from my website at www.bdlove.org, including (I think) "Manifest Destiny." (I wrote the song, Keith T. No references that I am aware of. And I personally prefer "A Man Needs a Uniform."

The version of the band with the metal drummer never quite jelled; the next version with Curtis Seals on the skins got to be extremely tight and very there. This in no small part due to the estimable talents of Keith Vincelette and Dave DeCirce.

And yeah, I was once even asked to audition for a Roxy Music knockoff band being organized by their former violinist.

As for the Matador, Keith T did as much of the dragging as I did. In my unfinished novel about the period, I recall the night KT determined, at midnight, that we were going to the Matador. I had work the next morning, but KT pulled the blankets off my bed and threatened to set them afire if I did not comply.

I did and came home with the barmaid and suffered some later consequences.

This should really be about the Fabulous Poptarts. So thanks, Ms V!

I always recall the 'tarts as really fun folks. I love their music (even the snipe at me personally, which I did NOT deserve!!! Ha ha ha.)

We were all supposed to get signed. Syracuse was going to become the Liverpool of the New Wave. It could have happened, except that the clubs were lousy (anyone recall literally wading into ankle deep liquid matter in Uncle Sam's bathrooms?), and we were all victims of some sharky characters.

But we should all be grateful for the fantastic music that happened. The 'Cubes, the 'Tarts, Dead Ducks, Machine and Hummer, Conspiracy of Equals... not to mention the comedy of Tomcat and Bobcat with the Generic Comics.

Visit me at the website folks, and download what you wish. You can get free copies of my "big book" if you want to send along your request to bdlove@earthlink.net and I'll be shipping pronto.

At your service,
Buddy Love

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home