Sunday, February 03, 2008

A Winter Walk and Other Random Thoughts



This afternoon the temperatures climbed into the thirties (heat wave!), so Jeff and I decided to take a long walk up into Evanston to visit the comic book store (where I discovered in a book about the worst places to live in America that I had actually lived in TWO of them--Allston, MA, and Syracuse, NY) and to take in the Irish session at Nevin's Pub.

The lake was just beautiful. As you can see, it's been a cold winter so far. The shore has really iced up. The photo above is of our little neighborhood beach--the northernmost beach in Chicago.

Here's a view of the lake just about at the Evanston border:



Check out the "icebergs"!

One of the most interesting parts of the walk around the lakefront curve was realizing just how shallow the water has become. When we first moved to Rogers Park eight and a half years ago, the tops of the tallest of these pilings were mostly underwater.



The walk was invigorating, the temperature above freezing, and the sidewalks had been cleared (well, most of them), so we made pretty good time. Once we got to Nevin's though, we had worked up big appetites. Usually, we only opt for a couple of beers and maybe an order of chips and gravy or "harp strings" (fried onion tendrils) to split. Today, though, it was fish and chips for Jeff and bangers and mash for me. Except for the order included EIGHT bangers! Yikes! But you know, I was hungry. Weight Watchers be damned, I ate them all. I'll go back to counting points in the morning.

Alas, when we left Nevin's, the temperature had dropped considerably. At least, it felt like it had. We hoofed it home, though, making better time than we did on the way up to Evanston because we were just so daggone cold!

A nice way to spend a not-all-that-cold Sunday afternoon. Well, not all that cold for a while, at least.

Other random thoughts:

Last night we finished watching The Cranes Are Flying, the fifties Soviet classic about love torn asunder by World War II. I first saw this movie YEARS ago, when I was a college freshman studying Russian. The professor brought this film and several others (Ivan the Terrible, anyone?) to class for us to watch. I remember loving the movie and crying my eyes out. It was a ten-tissue tearjerker, and no mistake. I have owned the Criterion Collection DVD for a couple of years now, but we just never got around to watching it until this weekend. What a wonderful film. It still holds up, after all these years. I cried my eyes out. But the most fascinating thing about the film is the glimpse it gives into Soviet life during the war--the terrible sacrifices, the horrific losses. We pride ourselves on having won that war, but without the involvement of the Soviet Union, Allied victory would have been impossible. Anyway... check it out if you get the chance.

I have a new printer!! My old one died a couple of weeks ago, so I purchased a new one that scans and copies as well. The first thing I printed? The first 100 pages of the novel so that Jeff could start reading and commenting. He gets first dibs! Scary, though.

It's snowing again, although "they" claim it will turn to rain by morning. I am tired of snow. But the idea of rain ON snow. Ugh.

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

And in Richmond, VA? It's 63 degrees.

Not that I'm a big fan of snow and ice (unplowing the car ranks down there with oral surgery), but I'd sure like a nice blanket of snow on the ground (NOT the streets) so I could wander the Winter Wonderland of Forest Hill Park.

I'm jealous of your lake--in my fantasy world it would look just like that sans wind and bitter cold for weeks at a time.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Oh, it's all so pretty!

Here in Dallas, I have the windows open for the enjoyment of Calvin and Doogie, who raced into the living room when they heard the windows going up. It's currently in the 70s and expected to get into the 80s. *sigh*

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such gorgeous photos. Sniff...sniff...I miss snow.

Beth

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And congrats on the new printer! I love new equipment...makes me feel all professional again. :)

I bet Jeff'll love the book!

Beth

10:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home