Saturday, May 03, 2008

Around the 'hood

A few weeks ago, I took a little constitutional around the neighborhood carrying the camera. I thought I'd share a few snapshots from the photo foray.

These buildings are one block to our east, right on the lakefront. As you can see, a couple of weeks ago the trees were still winter-bare. Now they are budding like crazy. Spring was late in Chicago this year, but it's catching up!

The building directly across the alley is covered in ivy. In fact, every year the landlords (it's an apartment building) have to cut the ivy back to reveal all the back windows.

Here's something we didn't see much of in Chicago this winter!







And here is a peek (tantalizing, I hope!) of one of the most fascinating buildings in the neighborhood. It's three blocks south of us, and it's the tallest building in our part of the neighborhood. I'm going to devote my next post to the amazing details on the facade of this building. Let's just say that you don't see work like this anymore on anything. Stay tuned!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Next you'll be doing A Walking Tour of the Shambles!

12:23 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh my God! I remember paging through that in a comic book shop, thinking (but for only a moment) that it really was an illustrated tour of the Shambles in York, England!

So cool!

But you know, I think the weird high rise building I feature in the post above kind of fits that bill!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home