Tuesday, May 13, 2008

John R.



If you were to look up the word curmudgeon in the dictionary, odds are you'd find his picture illustrating it. No, not the one above, which as far as I can figure is from sometime in the early 40s. No, more the post-50s John R., a guy who loved a good argument almost as much as he loved his Marlboros, his bourbon on the rocks, and his Wurlitzer organ. And, of course, his family. We loved him right back. And cut our teeth arguing politics with the old geezer.


He and my mom met in Vallejo, California, where he was stationed at Mare Island Navy Yard after the war. They knew each other for a few weeks and decided to get married.


People said they were crazy--it couldn't last. But more than 50 years later, they were still man and wife.


He was one of the smartest people I have ever known, but he could be easily persuaded to don one of our play hats for a goofy photo-op.


It's appears that he never really shed that tendency!

He took his leave of this world ten years ago today. The Marlboros and the bourbon and his own stubborn nature took their toll, alas. Time has taken the edge off the grief, but I'll miss him until the end of my own days.

Here's to you, Daddy!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Ya know, when I was staying at your mom's we spent a fair amount of time reminiscing about your dad*. We laughed a lot, but in a good way. I miss him.

*Although the "almost lost a finger in the air conditioner/metal rod through the digit removed with a pair of pliers by the doctor" story still makes me cringe.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Ow! Yeow!

I remember when that happened--Dad was working on the air conditioner and I was talking to Cindy F. on the phone when I heard this horrible metallic noise and Dad yelling (well... you can imagine the string of expletives). Within seconds, he had shot out the front door, hopped in the car, and sped off to the emergency room (although I didn't know where he was going or what had happened until he showed up a few hours later all bandaged and woozy--he had left the car up at the hospital because he didn't want to drive all doped up. Of course, as you know, the house is a block if that from the old hospital...

Yeah...I miss the old codger. I wonder what our political discussions would be like today, if he were still alive... I can't imagine he would be a fan of W or the Iraq war, although I can't see him voting for a Democrat either.

11:24 AM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

That was really sweet to read. I'm sorry for your loss, even though I know it was a while ago.

11:04 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, ewok.

As I said, the grief fades. The longing never does.

9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home