Thursday, June 19, 2008

Losing My View...



I snapped this photo from my office window back in the spring, after I found out that my employers were planning to renovate the building and my department would be moved to an entirely different part of the "campus." I love the crab apple tree when it blossoms, and the whole scene looks lovely at every time of the year. I'm so fortunate to have landed that office! But alas, I AM losing the view and the office, and not to the renovation. I've lost my job.

Yep... come the middle of July, I will turn out the light in that office with the lovely view and head off to... well, a new job, I hope! Or maybe a few weeks of rest and relaxation and interviews before taking up the career cudgel again.

Ah, the joys of right-sizing! My entire department was dissolved and its responsibilities shifted to the Boston office. This despite our proven track-record of sweeping adoptions. Oh well.

One of the ironies of this situation is that Jeff and I were just this past Sunday regaling some old high school chums of mine, Rob and Shary, and their delightful daughter Ginny, with stories of educational publishing over bits of flaming cheese in a Greektown taverna (and they were regaling us with anecdotes of vodka swilling and cow-head stewing experienced while visiting Ginny during her Peace Corps posting to Azerbaijan). And lest you think educational publishing is not nearly as exciting a topic as drunken hi jinx and ew-factor food in western Asia (and you'd be right...), all three of our audience work or have worked in education, so there was common interest! I hope! At any rate, it was a wonderful lunch. And since Ginny is staying in Chicago for a while, I hope we will be able to repeat the experience again!

For all my pals who may read this and worry--I don't think this will turn out to be all that dire. I have to admit that I've been rapid-cycling emotionally through all the phases: denial, anger, sadness, etc., etc.--so much so that I sometimes think my head is literally spinning, but I'm starting to cycle closer and more often toward acceptance. I have some promising leads. I'm good at what I do; I know the vagaries of major adoption state standards; books I've edited and projects I've managed have returned millions of bucks into the coffers of my soon-to-be erstwhile employer. So I should find something. I might even try my hand at freelancing again, should the opportunities arise. This might actually be a blessing in disguise.

Anyway, if you're so inclined, spare a positive thought or two or three for me! I'll keep you posted on developments!

Oh, and any of you who might by chance run into my mom... I haven't told her yet, so mum's the word. I'll break it to her gently, probably soon, but I'd like to solidify some of those leads a bit before I do. She'll worry, and I want to spare her that for a while. (By the way, she's a technophobe, so there is zero chance she will read this!)

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Sorry about the job loss. That's never really a nice thing, at least not when it happens. I don't doubt you'll find something else quickly.

Or maybe this is the opportunity to really start trying to get that book published???

9:43 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Anne Marie! Things do seem to be falling in place--I have had several prospective employers call already, which makes me feel good. Now... will any of them work out? That remains to be seen, but just the fact that they are calling helps ease the sting of the lay off somewhat.

I really have to get on the stick on the novel--I'm trying to work on prospective openers for it, but lately I start them, write a paragraph or two, and go blank. This may give me the kick in the butt I need.

Plus, oddly enough, my guitar playing has been MUCH improved this week--as if I have made huge gains in mechanics and style overnight. Hmmm. Maybe I'm subconsciously channeling energy to pursuits other than work these days!!

1:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, OMG! Barb and I have been dealing with Mom (who fell and shattered her wrist Wed. morning at 3 a.m) and just now saw your blog! I'm shocked, truly! And know you have to be going through major emotions about all this. I would think they'd have a place for you in another department, with all your skills, but what do I know? Many, many good wishes heading your way! And may those prospective employers make excellent offers! And may your time off give you time to work on the novel and enjoy your music-ing!

Beth

6:12 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh my, Beth! I hope your mom is on the mend, but how scary for her, for you, and for Barb!

Thanks for the good wishes--they seem to be working (fingers crossed!)

9:59 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Oh, and just to update: I told my mom this morning, and she seemed to take it well. She said, "I don't worry about you--you're a survivor!" Which is sweet, but I know she worries. At least I had some positive leads to tell her about. So if you local readers run into her, feel free to commiserate now.

10:03 AM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

"For all my pals who may read this and worry--I don't think this will turn out to be all that dire."

Okay, I'm going to take you at your word, but, yeah, I'll be sending some especially strong positive waves in your direction. What I DON'T want to see is a picture of you standing on a Chicago street corner with a cardboard sign saying "WIL COPYEDIT FER FUD!"

That would be bad.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Heh, heh!

I can guarantee you won't see that! But thanks for the positive waves! ;->

2:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home