Wednesday, July 30, 2008

More Skeery Graveyard Stuff...

Well, it's not ALL skeery. But due to popular demand, here are some more pics from our cemetery stroll.


Judging from the previous post, you might think that all the monuments in Graceland are of the vintage variety, but they are still burying folks there to this day, as far as I know. Witness this relatively modern example, which graces the grave of an architect. Magpie that I am, I was attracted by the big hunk of aqua glass, glistening in the sun.


Here is the final resting place of another famous Chicago architect. Nice bas relief, Louie.


Speaking of bas reliefs, check out this portly fellow.


Not too far from Mr. Huck, just across the lane, is this monument to a fireman. I would say "fire fighter" to be politically correct, but I think the guy considered himself to be a fireman back in the day, and so I will honor his self-perception.


The stonework and detailing of some of these monuments is just stunning. Note the Celtic tracery on this cross...

and on the wall of this vault.


Speaking of vaults, check out this one with its subterranean entrance and its own ventilating system. I have to say, that creeped me out a bit...


This angel, rather the worse for erosion, resides near the Sullivan stone and the Celtic cross.


Although the cemetery is incredibly well-kept, vandals have managed to make some inroads. I'm not sure how long ago this damage was done, though. This place has been around a long, long time, and this looks like an old, old monument.


This is one of the newer monuments, but, since it features an angel (or specter) emerging right out of the granite, I think it's also darned sinister.


Finally, I think this sculpture most aptly portrays the atmosphere that pervades a cemetery. If only we could have one moment more...

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Allen Sallee said...

You know me, Cathy. Nothing scares me, well, OK, EVERYthing scares me. But I do NOT like Graceland Cemetery at all. If there is a hidden entrance to Hell (or to GW Ferguson's lab), its in that place. I can deal with every other cemetery but Graceland. Nice photos in the past two posts.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Wayne!

It is a weird place, that's for sure. We actually went there twice to get these pictures... the first time a huge storm blew in just as we started our stroll around the grounds, and we high-tailed it back to the el and home. The day we took these, it was swelteringly hot, and yet, the cemetery itself was pretty cool. I'm sure it was the trees... yes. That's the ticket. It was the trees...

9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home