Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Trip to Graceland

No, not to the shrine of white trash decorating aesthetics, although somewhere I have some pictures from my visit there with Beth several *ahem* yes, several years ago, but to the vast cemetery on the north side of Chicago where so many of the city's greats are buried. Jeff and I went for a stroll through the necropolis several weeks ago, and I've been meaning to upload and post my pictures of the place for a while now... so turn on all the lights (or, depending on your mood, douse them) and enjoy.


This is the infamous Graves (yes! Graves!) Monument, which, before the days of digital photography, was reported to resist all attempts to photograph it clearly. As you can see, it photographs just fine. But it IS way creepy!



I found the door of this monument to be much more chilling than a huge honkin' statue of the Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come. The door, slightly ajar, chained and padlocked against... vandals who would break in? Or something that might break out? Hmmmm?



Well, I guess if you were born far too late and in far too distant a land to be interred with all the trappings of a pharaoh, if you have the do-re-mi you can do the next best thing--insist upon your own pyramid. All kidding aside, this tomb has lovely details.

The angel,

the steely eyed sphinx,

the stained-glass window, visible through the door to the mausoleum itself... Say, that dude has some keys--think that might be St. Peter?
And I'm sure it all had some deep, meaningful symbolism connected with it. Or else the guy (or his family) just thought it was cool.


Daniel Burnham, whose architectural vision shaped Chicago as it rose from the ashes of the great fire, is buried in Graceland, and you might think he would also command an imposing tomb such as our pyramid guy's. But you would be wrong. Here is Daniel's grave, set on a tiny, wooded island on Graceland's small lake--an island he shares with his wife, his children, and their spouses:



Among the other famous markers in Graceland, this purportedly haunted statue has a particularly remarkable history:
It is supposedly the final resting place of Inez Clarke, and the statue is alleged to move around in her little case and sometimes even disappear from it. Over the years, children visiting the cemetery are said to have encountered Inez playing near the monument. Odd that, because it turns out that Inez never existed in the first place! Check out the link for the whole story.

There's just no way to do justice to all the weird variety of monuments to life and death in this place. I have far more photos than I can share here, but rest in peaceful assurance that the place has stone trees
and real trees (skeery ones at that!), rows of tombs worthy of inclusion in a Hammer horror movie, and silent sentinels, keeping constant prayerful vigil and creeping out passersby for the foreseeable future and beyond.

But I think the most unnerving photo of the bunch was this one, which shows how wind, rain, and ice can all but obliterate images on stones that we know were meant to last, well, if not forever, for some approximation thereof:

I mean, what the heck WAS this supposed to picture?

Pleasant dreams!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Must...have...more!

10:07 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I love old cemeteries! Whenever we'd eat at Commander's Palace in New Orleans, we'd always go across the street to wander the cemetery afterwards.

That first picture is a little creepy, but I also think it looks a lot like the Vanilla Ghost from the Scooby-Doo episode that takes place in an ice cream factory. Hard to be scared of ice cream ghosts.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

I know that cemetery! It's the Lafayette Cemetery, in the Garden District. I'll bet GW knows it too, having spent some time in the city that care forgot... I have a picture of an angel sculpture atop one of the tombs in that cemetery, and someone has draped some Mardi Gras beads on its wrist. I'll have to see if I can dig that out.

And okay, GW. Just for you, I'll post a second round of Graceland pics.

5:27 PM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Ewokgirl:

Yeah, I'm a BIG fan of old cemeteries and, yes, I know the Lafayette Cemetery; however, my personal faves are St. Louis Cemeteries 1 & 2, which were basically across the street from where I lived. Hopped the fence early one Sunday morning in '78 and shot two rolls of b&w film in no time.

Cath, thanks for the additional pics. You KNOW I how much I love a good cemetery!

8:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home