Thursday, January 01, 2009

Welcome, 2009!

Wow, I have been slacking off of late, huh? Only one post in December! But it's been a crazy month, what with condo woes (burst pipes in empty units, my being tapped to take over the financial responsibilities of what is currently a very challenging budget, etc.), more than usual insanity at work, terrible weather, and colds all around... Let's just say that I was not sad to see the back end of 2008, the year I lost one job and managed to shift into another, the year that took our fluffy white diva-cat and our dear friend Harry... but also the year the nation woke up and elected a President I hope will lead us out of the horrors of the Bush administration and its robber baron mindset and into the 21st century. And also the year that delivered us our little samurai girl, Mifune.

I have lots of pictures to share, but I've been too busy (yes! that's the ticket! BUSY--not LAZY!) to upload them. I promise I will soon.

So, I guess it's time for the resolution check. Here's what I wrote last year, about this time:

"I resolve to get in better shape (and that includes weight management and exercise--I want to run the Ricky Byrdsong 5K in May), to polish up my guitar skills, to knit more (and actually sew up and finish my projects), and to finish the daggone novel!"

So, let's take these one by one:

Get in better shape: That was an epic fail, I'm afraid. While I haven't put back all the weight I lost in 2007, I'm pretty close. And far from running the Ricky Byrdsong 5K, I've avoided exercise of any kind since Shelly died. I'm not sure what the connection is, or if there even IS one, but up until then I was faithfully working out on the Nordic Track... but not running very much. Or eating all that well. And since then? Feh.

Polish up my guitar skills: This one is a success story, I'm happy to announce! Jeff and I started practicing Irish music together (Jeff on mandolin, me on guitar) early last year, and we've made some good progress. We practice nearly every night, and I'm a lot more accomplished than I was. I even do a bit of flat picking. In the last year, we've added Jeff's tenor banjo and my ukulele to the mix. We even have a name: The D'strukto Rays. So big yea on this resolution!

To knit more: This result is mixed. I've been doing some knitting (I made a sock--my first in all these years!--but I have yet to stitch up the toe and knit the mate) and crocheting (I'm working on a wedding present--grossly belated--for Rachel and Chase that involves crocheted afghan stitch). I haven't finished the projects I had lying around to finish when I posted that list of resolutions last year, however.

To finish the novel: This I did! Although I have yet to start revising it and adding the kicker it needs at the beginning. So two steps forward, at least.

Okay... so meet the new resolutions, same as the old resolutions... Get in better shape, continue playing and improving on guitar and uke, devoting more time to knitting, revise the novel, and try to find time to read more. In addition, I want to get the guest room repainted and redecorated--I have a new computer armoire (assembled) and new bookshelves (still in big boxes in the hallway, unassembled), and I need to get rid of the old guest bed and replace it with a sleeper sofa. Also, I very much need to deal with and move on from the crisis of confidence I suffered when my department was closed. I'm still very angry about that. Despite everything, I took it very personally. As I say, I still have some emotional work to do on that... and I resolve to do so.

So, to all of my friends, family, readers... well, to everyone... a happy, prosperous, healthy new year!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Actually, as far as resolutions go it sounds to me as if you did pretty darned good, given all the interfering life circumstances, and the new ones? Seem pretty reasonable and manageable to me!

I can't say I'm sorry to see 2008 recede into the mists of memory; 2009 almost has to be better, so, a happy, prosperous, healthy new year to you as well!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence! If I could just wrangle the perennial resolution to the ground and subdue it--either lose the freakin' weight or say the hell with it and move on--I think that would go far to help with some of the other categories. Who knows!

I'm glad to see 2008 fade away too... I only hope 2009 will be a year we'll be sad to see go.

6:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home