Saturday, February 28, 2009

Fun in the Sun...

Okay, so I've been in Orlando all week. But it's not been all that much fun... I've been reading pages and pages and pages and trying to keep another work ball up in the air back in Chicagoland at the same time. I'll be here for another six days, and then I can come home to Jeff and Mifune, whom I miss an awful lot. And, of course, my lovely new guitar, which I also miss!

I would be lying if I said that I didn't appreciate the warmer weather here. It's been quite lovely, although there has been precious little time to enjoy the out of doors. Today Margo and I (the other editor who is down here for the duration of this assignment) went to the Harry P. Leu Gardens, a lovely botanical gardens in town. We had originally thought a nice afternoon at Sea World, which is within walking distance from our hotel, would be just the ticket... until we found out how expensive tickets actually were! Close to sixty bucks per! And you can't expense a ticket to a theme park!

But the Leu Gardens were lush with camelias of every conceivable variety and citrus trees heavy with lemons and grapefruit. There was a historic home on the property, begun in 1888 and added onto over the next fifty years or so. Not a huge mansion, but rather a modest but well-appointed home that reflected the eras in which it was constructed and renovated. There was a butterfly garden, a floral clock, vegetable and herb gardens, and a rose garden that must be spectacular in season, but which was not in bloom yet. Rhododendrons were were blooming all over the place, though, making me yearn for the Blue Ridge in late spring. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon, if you couldn't spend it being amused by porpoises and orcas.

This hotel--a modest suite hotel--is completely adequate and until the weekend hit, it was very quiet and sedate. Now it has become a madhouse. This is the weekend of Megacon, apparently THE big comic book convention in the Southeast. So the hotel (and the sidewalks all up and down the nearby stretch of International Drive where the big convention hall is located) currently swarms with teens and twenty-somethings dressed in all their gothic and/or fave comix character splendor. It's very amusing, I must say, but some of the costumes are, well, more successful than others.

Tomorrow Margo and I are braving Fleaworld, the self-proclaimed largest flea market in the world. We will see. I only hope it is not the world's largest flea market selling nothing but tube sox, cheezy T-shirts, and T-fal cookware.

I will keep you posted!

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

O. M. G! A weekend of Comic Book Geeks, loose and unsupervised? Did you break a Commandment or something?

9:42 AM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

And now you know what MY life is like, except with people in Star Wars attire, rather than comic book stuff. Some of those con folks scare me!

2:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

LOL! It IS a bit scary... and yeah, GW, I break commandments all the time. Not big ones, but you know, swears and stuff. That's probably what put me here at this time, away from husband and cat!

Anne Marie--I'll bet it can get pretty scary at a Star Wars con! Jeff and I attended a couple of World Horror conventions when he was still actively writing horror stories, and it was the same thing. Why people think they are going to impress their favorite horror writers by dressing up like the goth from the 6th circle of hell escapes me! Hah!

Well, Fleaworld was pretty much what we feared, although we did purchase a few things--there was a good roasted nut stand! No antiques or cool old collectibles, though. Wah.

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home