Tuesday, October 20, 2009

No excuses...

Damn! But it's been a long, long time between updates.

I have lots of news and some nice pictures to post, but hey--I'm lazy, okay? It's a fact of life.

Since I'm grabbing time to post in the midst of a storm of pages here at work, I figure I will be brief now and more loquacious later.

Anyway... here's something I've been pondering since last Friday: Jeff and I stopped at Buffalo Joe's in downtown Evanston on the way home from work to get wings and chips to take home for dinner. As we were walking back to the car, toting our bag of spicy goodness, I looked down at the brick sidewalk for a moment and was struck by how familiar it was. How it just spoke the word home to me. And in an instant that thought took me back fifteen years or so to my last year in San Francisco. One evening as I was walking down Post Street to the Montgomery Muni station after my writing group, feeling so alone and sorry for myself amid the mix of quaint old businesses and soaring skyscrapers... I glanced down and noticed that the sidewalk was sparkling! Whatever components went into the mixing of the concrete for that sidewalk, one of them was catching the light and glistening like tiny pieces of mica--or gold--at my feet.

Not sure what the lesson is in that recollection--if there is any. But I was as struck then as I was last week, just by glancing down at the sidewalk.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home