Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Adieu to BHG

Ten years ago now, when Jeff and I first bought our "luxury lakeside condo" (heh), we were faced with a lot of unforeseen and undisclosed problems... and a few we knew about and took the plunge anyway. In my quest to figure out what we might be able to fix on our own and what we needed to hire professionals to tackle, I found my way to the message boards at Better Homes and Gardens online. There I posted my queries on the renovation board and the kitchen and bath board--I received some good advice, too. And from those boards I wandered over to the Family Issue board, where I became hooked.

It was a glimpse into a world I don't actually inhabit: a world of moms and housekeepers, mostly. But in that mix were a few kindred spirits. I started posting there and on the Mind, Body, and Spirit (MBS) board, where the topic was mostly religion. In those early days, there was a nice mix of folks posting at MBS. Sadly, it was eventually overrun with fundamentalist Christians of a single sect who pretty much told everyone they were going to hell--even their fellow fundamentalists on the board who had the audacity to be *gasp* Baptists instead of their particular cult. Given that, you can just imagine how this small band addressed those of us who were NOT Christians. Sigh. The board devolved to "them or us" type of arguments and a single troll who c&p'd some evangelist's daily online essay but never bothered to discuss her posts. Eventually, the troll was the last poster standing on that board.

Meanwhile, over at Family Issues (FI), some cyberfriendships were getting strained by the 2000 election. Bush supporters were aghast that anyone would call him on his blatant lack of intelligence... and so, to maintain good feelings, the powers that be began a new board called "General Debate" to attract the type of folks who like a good dust up away from the more sedate FI board.

It was a place for fairly hot and heavy discussions, especially in the run-ups to the disastrous Iraq war and the Bush-Kerry election. Come the primaries in 2008, though, things got really, really nasty. That's when the wingnuts started showing their true colors. And once Obama won the election, those same wingnuts now started singing the teabaggers' chorus... and throughout all this, the wingnuts (several of whom were the same religious cult members who killed the MBS board, interestingly enough) began reporting posts of liberal posters that they deemed to be violations to the board's Terms of Service. In other words--posts where they got their hats handed to them again and again... posts that showed their utter lack of logic and their absolute love of straw men arguments... basically, any post that disagreed with them. In turn, the board's liberal posters began reporting some of the more trollish and truly nasty posts of the wingnuts, several of whom were banned from the site for good... but who came back again and again under new names anyway. Sigh. General Debate was getting, well, tiresome. But who wants to just pack up and leave the board to the yahoos?

Which brings us to the past few days, since the horrific event at Fort Hood. As you might imagine, the wingnuts were and are all up in arms about Islam. Of course, the investigation is ongoing. The perpetrator has yet to offer a motive. But to the wingnuts, there's one and only one thing behind Hasan's actions: It was an Islamic Terrorist attack and proof that no Muslim can be trusted. You should see the posts. Or maybe they are best left unseen. I'm sure you can all imagine. What it boils down to for these benighted, terrified souls is that in their minds--because their own versions of mullahs have assured them it is true--all Muslims are terrorists. All Muslims are to be feared... and that's because Allah (no realization that Allah is Yahweh is God, of course) insists that all Muslims must kill those who are not Muslim. Sigh.

Anyway, religious bigotry is something that really chaps my hide. And so, I call the wingnuts on it. Particularly one wingnut who, after posting about how Allah insists all Muslims should kill all infidels, claims on another thread that she would never, EVER tar all Muslims with the terrorist brush. So I posted one of her screeds from another thread, which sets her off. And what do I get for my gentle rebuke?

I get a "time-out" from the BHG boards for violating the Terms of Service (although how showing a liar to be a liar violates any rules escapes me). But does SHE get a "time-out" for spewing her hatred and bigotry? No, of course not.

And so, after a decade of posting, I have decided to willingly extend my "time-out" into infinity. I figure it will give me back some precious free time I've been devoting to trying to debate idiots, in hopes that some lurker may see the light of day. And I'll bet it will bring my blood pressure down a few points too. I may even be more inclined to spend time here, updating more frequently.

And so, to my BHG friends who may find their way here, I say thanks for the decade. It was mostly fun. It was certainly a learning experience. I now leave the battle to those who still care to fight it.

Namaste.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I left a few years ago because I just couldn't deal with it all anymore. I'm surprised you lasted that long, frankly! You're obviously made of sterner stuff. I just got sick of all the nastiness, especially back when you could post anonymously. (Can you still do that?)

Oh, and you're not the first person to get in trouble with the powers that be for calling someone out. People have been banned in the past for defending themselves against the nasties. Really screwy system over there.

Welcome to the other side! It's sunny over here. :-)

5:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

I think the moderator who became responsible for the board after Laura was promoted is friends with one of the nastiest posters. At least, said poster has her ear. And so now the liberal posters get our wrists slapped if we as much as stray into sarcasm-ville, while several wingnut trolls pitch fits if one of us shows them to be in error--and in doing so, they say the most insulting things and mount personal attacks like you would not believe... but WE are the ones who get time outs and posts pulled. Even carswell has had posts removed! And jhaley!

I don't think it's ever been worse there, alas.

I'll probably lurk now and again, but I can't continue to participate. At least, not until they get an equitable moderator.

9:58 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Whoa. Even-keeled Carswell and Jhaley have had posts removed?

Maybe they'll get a new moderator if enough people complain to the right people. I remember the MBS board had a very intolerant moderator at one point (intolerant toward the Christian posters), so they switched her out with Laura. That worked out well, as Laura stayed neutral and just made sure people played nice.

10:49 PM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

You know, I've been online since 1987 and Every. Single. Discussion group I've ever participated in or monitored eventually went the same route. USENET became one vast, snarky trollery by the 'Nineties and even today the coin collecting boards (did you know I've started collecting coins?) get a tad intense, especially over political/economic matters.

Like you, I've often had to vote with my mouse and click myself away.

Is there something about presumed-but-not-factual anonymity that brings out the worst in people or do the Intarwebs merely attract an unusual number od social tard-os?

9:38 AM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Anne Marie, Laura was a very good moderator. She was very fair and equitable, and it took a lot for a post to be pulled on her watch... which says something about the posters who were banned then... although I really do think that the sig troll has mental and/or emotional problems. He makes me sad, because he wants so much to be liked, but he is so reprehensible! Sigh. Oh well, won't have to deal with him anymore, huh?

Oh, and I didn't answer this before: there is no anonymous posting allowed at BHG anymore, which is a very good thing!

And Lee, yeah... I think it does have something to do with quasi-anonymity. I am probably biased, but it also seems to me that posters from the extreme right wing are so much more likely to resort to poor behavior--they seem angry and mean and sometimes (often?) downright scary!

And that't the rub--you can be as polite as pie to them, but if you disagree with them, you have attacked them to the core. Go figure...

2:57 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

I think it's just creepy, mentally unbalanced folks in general. I could argue that there were a few liberals who were the same way. You and I are on polar opposite ends of things in politics and religion, yet we've always gotten along beautifully and can disagree respectfully. I think some of how we take things comes from our own perspectives, although I certainly agree that some of the right wingers over there were nuts. As I said, I think there are a few mentally unbalanced folks on both ends of the spectrum over there. Message boards attract many very nice people, but they also seem to bring out the nut cases.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

No question there are crazy liberals as well... just not quite as many of them! LOL! (At least on BHG!)

While I think some of the wingnuttier posters there are just plain blind angry about the election (but really, what did they expect?), the worst of the bunch combine intolerant political views with intolerant religious views... and it's a toxic mix. I hear through the grapevine that VC is on a tear right now, calling liberals all kinds of names... sigh. Wonder if HE will get a "time out"...

It really takes mutual respect to get along on those boards. And it really is a two-way street: most people lose respect for those who revel in disrespecting them. Such as, well, the usual suspects! LOL!

10:02 PM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Back again. I had a Senior Moment a couple of days ago when, for the life of me, I couldn't dredge the name "Godwin's Law" from the deep, dark recesses of my cerebral cortex:

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches 1."

9:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home