Monday, January 25, 2010

The Ax Falls Once More

Nothing like coming to work on a chilly, flurrying Monday morning and being met with the old "We appreciate all you've done for us, but you're canned as of a month from now" speech.

I went through this whole thing a year and a half ago when my employer decided to shut down my department and start it back up at another location a few years down the road. I took the position in Reading because it was convenient, and it was a bird in the hand. In the intervening months, I've often wondered if I should have just moved on back then. I really have felt very stuck in an uncomfortable holding pattern for a while now. Maybe having a bird in the hand isn't always the best situation.

Right now, I'm kind of shell-shocked. I know there are far more talented and experienced editors out there pounding the pavement than there are positions for them. And it has become harder and harder to freelance, at least in educational publishing.

I hope one day I'll look back on this and see it as the kick in the pants I needed to put me on the right path to fulfilling work again. But for right now, it just feels like I've been kicked. Hard. In the head.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Cathy... I am SO sorry to hear this! And mad. I went through this exact same situation with Heinemann. You deserve much better, and I can hook you up with some good "creative" placement agencies if you like. Hang tough!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks Erin! Any info you can direct my way would be more than appreciated!

Really, I've been treading water professionally since Social Studies was disbanded, although I had plenty to do in Reading. It just wasn't all that good a fit, as much as I like all the folks I work with.

By the way, I got your lovely postcard, and you can bet I'm saving the date! The two of you look radiantly happy!

1:55 PM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

Oh, man! Pooparama! I am so sorry, especially since all I can do is send good vibes your direction.

Hoping for the best, whatever that may be.

9:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Lee.

Yesterday I received two phone calls from prospective employers... they called me when they heard the news. So I'm now cautiously optimistic. Kinda.

I keep running that Stones song through my head: You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.

I've been treading water here for the last year and a half. So...

9:18 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Cathy! That sucks! I'm sorry this happened to you, I really enjoyed working with you and truly believe Sco Fo is the worse for not have you there. Hang in there.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Meg!

5:06 PM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Awww, crap. Sorry to hear this.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Anne Marie. I think things will work out, and they might actually work out pretty well. I could use a change in work venue, that's for certain!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Cynthia said...

I never cease to be amazed at the stupidity of companies who get rid of mega-talent like you.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Gosh, Cynthia! Thanks!

I DO figure it is more their loss than mine!

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home