Friday, February 05, 2010

On Doors that Close and Doors that Open

It's been quite a crazy ride, these last couple of weeks!

One of these days (say, when I've collected all my severance?) I'll tell you a story of how NOT to lay people off, but for now, let's just let that lie.

The good news is that I will start at my new job as a project manager at a development house on the north side of Chicago in the middle of March. It is as laid-back a work environment as a development house can be. It is close to public transit, so I will get some exercise walking to and from the L stations at either end of the route (maybe drop a few pounds?), and I will be able to catch up on the mounds of books I have amassed in the last few years--you can't read while you're driving to work! At least, you should not attempt it. I anticipate working on a number of projects, but I especially look forward to tackling social studies again. I will be working for and with people I have admired and respected since my first forays into educational publishing. I could not have anticipated a better outcome for what I took, at first, to be a devastating and embarrassing setback.

Most of you who read this blog know me personally, and you know that I'm a skeptic (although I admit to watching way too many of those ghost-hunting shows... a trait that puzzles Jeff, although I attribute my interest to a fascination with supernatural tales that goes back to childhood--but I digress). I generally have no use for platitudes such as "When one door closes, another will open." But I have to say, since January 25 it's as if I've been routed through a series of doors--revolving ones! So quick was the turn of fortune that I'm practically spinning. Happily so!

So worry not, my friends. I have landed on my feet once again. And for that, I am very grateful for all your good wishes and positive thoughts!

Namaste!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What fantastic news, Cathy! I am SO happy for you, and look forward to hearing more about your new position, etc. Hurrah for you!! :)

11:02 AM  
Blogger G. W. Ferguson said...

YAAAAAAAY!!!

Really, that's fantastic! I love how all the pieces (laid-back, walking, reading, cool people, interesting subjects) fall into place.

10:01 AM  
Blogger Gaedhal said...

I'm just catching up on all this. It's not fun to join the cultural zeitgeist (? German not my forte!), but being employed again is always good for peace of mind!

2:27 AM  
Blogger Anne Marie@Married to the Empire said...

Goodness, I'm late to this! Congratulations! I'm glad you found a new job so soon. I hope you're enjoying it.

And I, too, watch too many of those ghost shows, much to the consternation of my husband. We don't believe in ghosts, yet I still find myself fascinated by those programs. I went through quite the ghost story phase in my youth, though, so I think that's where this comes from. That was actually the only time I can remember my parents disallowing me to read something. My dad was getting worried about how many of those books I was reading.

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home