Friday, February 11, 2011

Wish Lists...

Aside from wishing for winter to be over, for these stupid shingles to go away forever and entirely and take their prickly little needles with them, and for fabulous wealth to descend on me, no strings attached, so Jeff and I can pick up and travel all over the damned place, the demise of our old (as in tube) TV has got me thinking of what else I want/need/should replace. So here is my paean to consumerism.

First, a new TV and, while we're at it, a modest surround-sound system to go with it. We're shopping for that this weekend, and in anticipation of the new arrival, I have ordered a nice vintage-y looking stand for what I'm sure will be a sleek new flat screen. I mean, priorities here. I must be able to get my daily Daily Show fix. And how kind of our old TV to bite the dust on a week when Jon and friends were on hiatus!
Next, I really need a new computer. My old iMac (one of the cute ones with the half ball and the monitor on the stalk) has done yeoman's service for around a decade, and it's still going strong (oh, how I love Apple!), but we must part ways soon. New apps require the new OS, and it just doesn't have the juice. Time to upgrade. I'm willing to wait to see what kind of tax refund we receive (if any) and proceed from there. I was going to get a laptop--a MacBook Pro--but I think I will actually get a desktop--an iMac with a nice big monitor--more bang for your buck. I can always get an iPad for traveling. That is, somewhere down the line.
With visions of that new computer (and the lastest version of iTunes) dancing in my head, I covet one of those cute new Nanos that you can clip onto your lapel for workouts. I want a red one.
And, of course, once I have that new Nano, I will have no excuse at all for not running more often... well, except that I need new shoes. So I need a new pair of Asics Gel 2160s, Brooks Adrenalines, or Mizuno Nirvanas. Only one pair, mind. I just have to try them out to see which pair feels the best.
It would be great to build a wardrobe of glasses, too. When I got my new pair back in the fall, I was torn between two different frames--and I still think about that other frame. It was a slimmed down version of RayBan Wayfarers, but they only came in black. I have always thought that black was too harsh for my pasty pale complexion, especially now that my hair is mostly gray--I mean, shimmering silver--but then I went to hear Aimee Mann, and she was rocking black frames with her fair skin and blonde hair... so now I at least want those frames. After all, everyone should have a spare pair of eyeglasses, right?
And then Jeff and I need to upgrade our cellphones. Time for a smart phone, although I'm on the fence about whether to spring for an iPhone or go with Android. Although I guess it will all depend on what the data plan costs, etc. I do love that hipstamatic print app for the iPhone still camera. Do they have one of those for Android phones? And I love Apple. Did I mention that already?
Man, that's a lot of moolah we're talking here. And I haven't even started with the trips: to Marfa, to Waynesboro, to New York, to the Big Island, to Ireland, to Paris, to Madison...
And I played a sweet, sweet Martin acoustic at Guitar Works last weekend...
Okay! Dreaming time over! Back to work!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I love this post! And I must admit that I recently purchased a "spare" pair of glasses and thoroughly enjoy having two options. Go for it, Cathy!! (and all the other wonderful stuff too...)

3:19 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Cathy VanPatten said...

Thanks, Erin! I just may do that--especially since I lost the pair of glasses I had before the ones I have now, so my "spare" is two prescriptions old now. Not the best, but better than nothing.

So... we have purchased the TV and a modest surround sound system. They will be delivered in a few days. Yea!

I'm knocking these out one by one!

However, I have to confess that I would never abandoned my sweet Blueridge acoustic for a Martin... Never! Heh.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home